Top 3 Morning Detox Rituals
As you may have seen in my recent insta stories I have been struggling a bit with puffy eyes/fluid retention recently due to a bit of a sluggish spleen (according to my beautiful acupuncturist). Now while I take herbs for helping this as well I wanted to see what more I could do at home to help ease this and what I have found is definitely helping!
1. Dry Body Brushing- Now this has been around for a long time and was really on trend a few years ago. I must admit it was one of those things I tried and then forgot to ever do again because I didn't really know about the amazing benefits. Besides exfoliating your body your are actually stimulating your lymphatic system. This is a delicate system of lymphatic nodes that are primarily sitting in our arm pits and groin (hence why they get sore if you are sick).
This system is not only responsible for our immune system but for fluid circulation and drainage. The way I would describe I feel after body brushing is like I've been for a run! I can feel my blood circulating through my body and I feel energized and not so sluggish after getting out of bed for the night.
2. Jade Roller (Gua Sha)- Jade or Rose Quartz Rollers are now popping up everywhere and I love it! Not only do I love that we are embracing ancient therapies again but this is based on crystals (yassss!)
I am in LOVE with my new jade roller! This works on the same idea that the dry body brushing does but it's not as harsh for the delicate skin on your face and especially around your eyes.
- Helps Puffiness by circulating fluid down from your face into your lymphatic system for drainage
- Feels amazing, I put mine in the fridge and first thing when I wake up it's like a cold shower!
- Smoothes out skin tone
- Jade restricts the blood vessels allowing for the reduction in swelling
Simply wash your face, apply a little oil and massage in an upwards motion starting at the bottom of your face towards the top. Massage gently outward towards the side of the face, bringing it down the neck. Basically imagine you are bringing all the fluid down towards your heart.
3. Tongue Scraping- This ancient ayurvedic technique is known to remove the excess 'ama' from your body that accumulates when you sleep. In Ayurveda, Ama refers to any accumulation of toxic residue in the mind-body. This can result from improper eating, poor digestion, or a reflection of an imbalance somewhere in the gastrointestinal system. You will notice a creamy like substance on your spoon after 5-6 gentle scraps back to front of your tongue.
You can buy actual tongue scrapers but for now I am using a spoon.
- Helps balance the digestive system
- Improves oral health like breath and taste
I hope you loved these simple and effective ways to liven up your body, mind and spirit in the morning ready for a new day ahead!